Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What have you accomplished?


Are you ok with your achievements?

What do you think of when you see the word
achievement?

Do you think of awards?
Promotions?
Trophies?
Raises?
Things that are tangible?
Something you can hold 
or see on a piece of paper?

Do you fall into the trap of
viewing success
 as something 
someone tells you 
that you have accomplished,
or achieved?

I think it is quite easy to fall into that
way of thinking.

These types of achievements 
are based on someone else's 
qualifications
of what success and achievement is.
How do we allow ourselves to base the entire 
gamut of our successes 
on what someone else tells us?

Yes..
Promotions, trophies, 
raises, awards..
These are all fantastic achievements,
and should not be taken for granted.

But, are they our greatest achievements?
Are they truly what 
we should use to qualify our life?

If you look at my life,
I don't have many of those types of achievements
or successes. 
Those kinda ended after high school...

But, I am still successful.
I have still achieved tremendous things
that I am very proud of.

I am a good person.
I care about people.
I enjoy helping others.
I like to make people laugh, especially my friends,
who mean the absolute world to me.
I have cut out alcohol from my lifestyle.
I have successfully mastered gluten-free baking.
At 30, I am definitely in the best shape I've ever been in.
I successfully survived my 20's. 
That one deserves a high five!
I believe in fairness and doing the right thing. 
I want everyone to be happy.

These aren't viewed as a "success" or an "achievements" by many
but..
they don't have to be, and they certainly
should be seen as meaningful and worth praise.

Life can make us cold. 
It can harden us.
We find ourselves comparing our 
achievements and successes
(or lack of them)
to others and we come up short.

How unfair of us to do that!

That doesn't really make sense, does it?
We are taught that we are unique and special
and then we give that away
 to ascribe to someone else's qualification of what
special is.

I know that this must be the same for others,
but it makes me feel sad.
I feel like I'm not being authentic.
I get frustrated and caught up in meeting 
the standards of others and it just
becomes impossible.
And I have definitely found myself
walking through life
feeling a little less 
sparkly.

It's not to say that we should blow off 
meeting other's expectations of us,
but we need to also
validate our innate need to 
meet our own.

We can't please everyone. 
We won't get all of the awards.
We can't succeed at everything.
But trying is a success.
Putting effort and intention toward our endeavors 
is the very make up of what builds success.
We are, at the core, successful.

How does it make you feel when you help someone
who needs it?
Proud? Happy? Like you accomplished something?
Yeah, because you did!

These are the things we rarely acknowledge as being extraordinary.
And yet, these are the things that,
I believe,
make us the people we are.
A resume is great and stuff...
But it's who we become that is the true success in life.

So, if you also survived your 20's,
high five.

And if you aren't quite there yet,
keep on keeping on.

Love,
liz xo



No comments:

Post a Comment